Pinterest might have played a part in the inspiration for my most recently finished project, but I can’t explicitly remember so maybe I’ll claim it on my own incredible creativity. As I’ve written about previously, my knitting exploits are currently limited to scarves (oh and easy tube gloves which I will blog about one day too). At the moment I am working on learning some fancy tricks like new patterns and new creative ideas – staying within the scarf medium. I don’t want to get too adventurous just yet.
I started this plait-knit scarf months ago, possibly even last winter, but I finished it just in time for this winter to really get off the ground. It felt good to be organised ahead of time so I’ve got something to enjoy while it’s cold. Anything else I start working on now will surely be ready for next year!
So, like, ages ago, I bought three balls of Lincraft Zambezee yarn in three different colours. This stuff really fascinated me because I was looking for something with a nice texture like wool but with a cheaper price like acrylic (unrealistic I know). Zambezee is 50 per cent acrylic and 50 per cent Tencel. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I Wikipedia-ed* exactly what Tencel is. Lyocell, first manufactured as Tencel in the 80s, is a “regenerated cellulose fibre made from dissolving bleached wood pulp”. Wood pulp?! Now that’s cool. Its texture is nice to wear and not abrasive or itchy.
Using 6.5mm needles I cast on 10 stitches and knitted the whole ball, making three long strings of knit. I just used a basic garter stitch, which is nice and easy to do quickly without mistakes. There was no need for fancy patterns because what I did next with the three knitted strands gave the scarf a really interesting look. Before I move on though, I want to mention just how amazed I was with the different lengths that the three balls knitted up. All of them have exactly the same packaging that says it contains approximately 65m but they were actually really different. The blue strand ended up longer than the others with still plenty of yarn left over, whereas one of the others nearly didn’t make it to length using the whole thing.
So I was lucky to have some blue yarn left over to make into two basic crochet chains (I learnt how to do them a couple of weeks ago at a beginners class at Zeally and Cliff in Torquay. This place is awesome and I plan to go back for more when I can. Stay tuned for news of my crochet adventures, currently in progress.)
I tied all three strings together with a crochet chain, tied that into a nice bow and plaited the three knitted pieces together. Another crochet chain bow at the other end finished off my plait-knit scarf. A mentioned above, the differing lengths of the three strings meant I had to do a fair bit of stretching and squashing to make sure the whole thing finished up looking nice and neat.
At first I was surprised at how thin the whole thing ended up but its length kind of makes up for that. The couple of times I’ve worn it so far I’ve just wrapped it around my neck twice and let the ends hang.
* Yes Wikipedia-ed is a verb. So there.