Some friends came over just as I was sitting down to brunch one weekend. “What IS that you’re eating?” they asked. “It looks pretty good.” I hadn’t really considered what I’d thrown together until they asked me to explain it. I realised I’d invented a kind of delicious omelette, french toast and scrambled eggs-inspired mush. I have started making this a fair bit on weekends because its quick, delicious and pretty hard to stuff up. Maybe others would like to try it too…
The ingredients really depend on your own taste, level of hunger, and of course, what’s in the fridge.
This morning I used:
– Two slices of bread (ripped into pieces)
– Two eggs (whisked)
– A splash of milk
– Half a tomato (diced)
– A hunk of cheese (diced)
– A piece of capsicum (diced)
– A handful of spinach (chopped)
– A handful of fresh parsley (chopped)
– A pinch of each: smokey paprika, dried basil, chilli flakes, salt and pepper.
-A dash of olive oil
Here’s what I did:
– Whisk the eggs and milk together in a bowl.
– Add the ripped up bread and allow it to soak into the liquid.
– Chop all other ingredients.
– Heat oil in frypan. Add ingredients, stirring constantly, in roughly this order: onion, capsicum, tomato, eggy bread, cheese, spinach, parsley, other herbs and spices.
– Keep stirring until everything looks hot and the cheese has melted.
– Throw it all onto a plate (or into a bowl) and enjoy!
I think it looks pretty disgusting but it tastes great. For this reason it’s probably not something you’d serve to guests but it makes for a fantastic one-person meal!